One of the perks of having a sister as a flight stewardess is that you get to enjoy a carefully curated international selection of goodies, that is, the “best of” what each country has to offer, and at the cheapest price. Going to Australia? Nuts! New Zealand? Honey and kiwis! Belgium? Chocolate! Yesterday When she returned from London with a bagful of summer, namely, summer nectarines – at three for a pound to boot. In Singapore it will be at one for three dollars instead. In this sense, the title of this post is a misnomer; it should be “nectarine n coconut cream oatmeal,” but its more fun to say “peaches n cream,” no?
These sun-kissed orbs of gold were bursting to its seams – or more accurately, skin – with nectar-sweet juices. To do this delectable summer treat justice, I decided to feature them au natural with oatmeal. No stirring them in as it would dilute out its peachy flavours; no baking as it would destroy its vitamins. Simplicity was the call of the day.
The “cream” here is actually coconut butter. The creamy melted coconut butter enhances the delicate fragrance of the nectarines. I think peanut butter will be too assertive. The oatmeal is made even more creamy and nutritious with protein powder, and sweetened with medjool dates.
Embrace summer with this peachy/nectariney delight!
- ¼ cup steel cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice, coconut)
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Splash of vanilla extract
- ½ scoop protein powder (I use Garden of Life)
- ½ large nectarine or peach, sliced
- ¼ medjool date, chopped
- Coconut butter, to drizzle
- Bring oats, water and chia seeds to boil then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes until thick or when most of the water has evaporated.
- Add milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Towards the last 2 minutes add in protein powder and stir in thoroughly.
- Pour out onto a plate or bowl, decorate with nectarine/peach slices and top with dates and coconut butter.