What an awesome and fulfilling 4 years in NUS it has been. Reminiscing back on the experiences which led to this milestone: rugged freshman orientation camps in Year 1 when I was still a bright-eyed bushy-tailed eager-beaver freshie, my first real summer lab research on cell division in Year 2, exchange at King’s College London in Year 3, and the year-long Final Year Project in Year 4 where thousands of Drosophila flies bravely sacrificed their lives in the name of cancer research. Also through these four years I have made some new friends, reunited with the old. As we go our separate paths from today, I hope these friendships will not be mere memories but continue for many years ahead.
These four years do not define me, even though it has taught me a lot. Behind all these notions of achievements and success lives a support network of family, friends, communities and of course, God, who propelled me to take inspired actions, challenge status quo, and to engage in the creative process of life. And with that, another chapter of my life comes to an end. And another one begins. What next? As Pablo Picaso said, “Everything you can imagine is real.” Medical school? Clinical research? PhD? Work? Start a business? As I go on to find my calling, I once again am deeply thankful for all the blessings in this beautiful life.
To celebrate in style, I whipped up a Funky Monkey Bananamon Smoothie for breakfast this morning, also in part to quell an inexplicable monstrous peanut butter craving. This is a a dark chocolatety peanut buttery smoothie made with bananas and chocolate peanut butter, spiced with cinnamon and vanilla. With added oats and protein powder, this made a healthy, filling breakfast.
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice or coconut)
- ½ banana, sliced
- ¾ tablespoon cacao powder (Pacari raw)
- ¾ tablespoon chocolate peanut butter (or peanut butter and a square of dark chocolate)
- ⅛ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- ½ scoop protein powder (Garden of Life)
- 2 tablespoons raw rolled oats, plus extra for topping (raspberry Galaxy Granola)
- Blend all ingredients in a blender on high until smooth. Garnish with extra oats or granola if desired.